We follow traces of the first inhabitants od the Liburnian Karst, Liburnians and the Romans, on the archeological sites such as forts (Pasjak and Šapjane) and caves (Loza 1 and Loza 2). Prehistoric and ancient pottery shards, as testimonies of private life of the first inhabitans are complemented with traces of their public activities. The ancient road „Via Publica“ passed through this area as the shortest link between Tarsatica (Rijeka) and Aquileia, while in its viciniry rose the Liburnian Limes, a system of defensive walls that protected the ancient province of Italy from the invasion of the Barbars.
One of the earliest records of the village name „Lipa“ is found in a document, dated April 21st 1429, in which Hugon from Duino, the feudal ruler of Lipa, confirms the estate of Lipa as ecclesiastical property of the Augustinian monastery in Rijeka. The map from the beginning of the 18th century show that Lipa, at that time, still belonged to the Augustinian estate, and that the main road connecting Rijeka with Trieste passed through it.
Situated on important road routes, Lipa was one of the first villages to get a postal office, opened in 1756 in the same building where the Memorial Centre is now situated. At that time Lipa’s post office had 12 horses and 2 carriages for transporting mail, but also passengers. In 1855 a school was opened in the same building, due to the contribution of Ivan Kalčić Barela, a prominent benefactor from Lipa.